This week in the music industry, APRA AMCOS joins forces with the RECOGNISE campaign to raise awareness for the need for change in the Australian constitution, and the City of Sydney partnered up with MusicNSW to create the brand new “All Ages Access Grants” program.
APRA AMCOS joins the RECOGNISE campaign
Earlier this week, APRA AMCOS announced that they will be joining forces with the RECOGNISE campaign, to increase the music industry’s awareness of the need for recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the Australian constitution.
“This partnership draws on a long history of activism by artists, musicians and performers who have a strong voice and are influential campaigners on important social issues.” said the RECOGNISE Digital Campaign Manager, Shannan Dodson.
Danielle Tuwai, who has previously worked as the Arts Development and Events Coordinator at Gadigal Information Service, and hosted “Artbeat” on Koori Radio, was appointed as the Project Manager for the RECOGNISE campaign.
“Through this, I hope that a path/paths can be forged to create long overdue change towards Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island empowerment and in doing so enrich the broader community,” said Danielle Tuwai.
APRO AMCOS is Australia’s leading music rights management organisation with extensive connections with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander musicians. More information on the RECOGNISE campaign and their mission can be found here.
The City of Sydney and MusicNSW create new grants program
Live performances play a fundamental part in improving the local culture and creative economy, and increasing the number of all-ages shows will give young people the chance to experience these positive effects in a safe environment. As a result, the City of Sydney and MusicNSW have joined forces to launch the brand new All Ages Access Grants (AAA Grants).
Created as part of the City of Sydney’s “Live Music and Performance Action Plan”, the grants program aims to encourage venues, booking agents, musicians and artist managers to create more all-ages shows in inner Sydney. Successful applicants of the AAA Grants will receive funding to cover musician’s fees, production and promotion costs for live-performance events in inner Sydney from the period between February – June 2017.
Applications for the AAA Grants are now open and will be closing at 5pm on Monday 16th of January 2017. More information about the grant and how to apply can be found here.
After a heated competition spanning across ten weeks, MTV announced EMMI as the winner of their second annual MTV Brand New 2016 competition. The singer-songwriter competed against nine other emerging Australian and New Zealand musicians to win a prize of $10,000 to be donated to her charity of choice, Telethon Perth.
Fremantle’s indie-pop group San Cisco have signed a worldwide music publishing deal with BMG, joining the likes of other popular Aussie musical acts such as Peking Duk, Matt Corby, Tame Impala, Wolfmother, and The Cat Empire.
AIR 100% Independent Singles Chart
- Sia feat. Kendrick Lamar – The Greatest
- Nick Murphy – Stop Me (Stop You)
- Sia – Cheap Thrills
- Sheppard – We Belong
- Tash Sultana – Jungle
- Flume feat. Tove Lo – Say It
- Sia – Chandelier
- Bliss N Eso feat. Thief – Dopamine
- Vance Joy – Riptide
- Flume feat. Kai – Never Be Like You
AIR 100% Independent Albums Chart
- Client Liaison – Diplomatic Immunity
- Sia – This Is Acting
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree
- Ball Park Music – Puddinghead
- Ben Abraham – Sirens
- Sia – 1000 Forms Of Fear
- Superheist – Ghosts of the Social Dead
- Twelve Foot Ninja – Outlier
- Sticky Fingers – Caress Your Soul
- Camp Cope – Camp Cope
ARIA Singles Chart
- James Arthur – Say You Won’t Let Go
- The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk – Starboy
- The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey – Closer
- Calum Scott – Dancing On My Own
- Little Mix – Shout Out To My Ex
- Maroon 5 feat. Kendrick Lamar – Don’t Wanna Know
- Neiked – Sexual
- Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
- Nevada feat. Mark Morrison & Fetty Wap – The Mack
- Hailee Steinfeld – Starving
ARIA Albums Chart
- Bon Jovi – This House Is Not For Sale
- Jessica Mauboy – The Secret Daughter (Songs from the TV Series)
- Birds of Tokyo – Brace
- Robbie Williams – The Heavy Entertainment Show
- Michael Buble – Nobody But Me
- Elvis Presley – The Wonder of You: Elvis Presley with the Royal
- PEZ – Don’t Look Down
- Michael Buble – Christmas
- Various – Triple J’s Like A Version 12
- Keith Urban – Ripcord